Tofu

Tofu

About Me

Albuquerque, NM, United States
Just a freelance working vegetarian mom. I thought it would be fun to create a place where vegetarian moms can share their ideas, recipes, good places to shop, money saving ideas and funny stories.

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Falafels!!!!!

I love this recipe.  My kids love it, my husband loves it, even my older German mother-in-law loves it.  It comes from a cookbook my husband bought me about 15 years ago.  Even before we became vegetarian, we always loved a good falafel and this one is good!  Serve it with fresh pita (I have a recipe...coming soon), hummus (don't get me started) and tzatiki (ok...now I have way more recipes to post).  Also, lots of fresh veggies and my kids love it with pickles.

FALAFEL RECIPE
Ingredients:
1 pound dried chick-peas, soaked overnight in cold water, then drained and rinsed
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tsp. ground coriander seeds
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda dissolved in 1/2 cup water
Vegetable oil for frying
  1. In a food processor or blender (I use the vita-mix) grind the soaked chick peas.  Add the garlic, onion, parsley, coriander, cumin, salt and baking soda mixture.  Process until smooth.
  2. In a large, wide pot, heat oil to a depth of 3 inches until very hot, but not smoking.  With an ice-cream scoop (or a spoon works fine), form the falafel mixture into balls and carefully slide them into the oil.  Cook until golden brown.  Turn if needed to brown the whole ball.  Remove and drain on a paper towel.
That's it!  They keep in the fridge.  Re-heat in the oven really well.  I've made them smaller for party snacks.  Delicious and full of protein!  They are good in lunches too.  You can put mini pitas in the kids lunch kits with the sauces for dipping.  They love it!

Enjoy!!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment